Cerf Island (1.27 km2) lies 4 km off the north coast of Mahé in the Seychelles. Cerf Island measures more than 1.7 km’s long and almost 1 km wide, it reaches a height of 108 meters). The island is surrounded by a coral reef and the geology is granitic.
Cerf Island was named after the French navy frégate “Le Cerf” which arrived at Port Victoria on 1 November 1756. On board was Corneille Nicholas Morphey, leader of the French expedition, which claimed the island by laying a Stone of Possession on Mahé, Seychelles’ oldest monument, which is on display in the National Museum, Victoria.

Cerf Island is the only island in the marine park to have a small local population who commute to Mahé for their daily business. It has a local population of around 100, mostly centered in one bay on the East side of the island, many of whom make the short commute by boat to Mahé for work.

The island also has a small Anglican Chapel (St James’) which has recently had a stained glass windows installed, as well as a Catholic Chapel (Notre Dame De Lourdes).
There are no paved roads or local infrastructure on the island.

Due to Cerf Island’s location, in a National Marine Park, the waters around Cerf Island prove a spectacular sight. The deepest point of the Marine Park is 250 meters and the Park offers exceptional marine life, with more than 150 species of reef fish, crabs, sea urchins, starfish, octopus and many more. Cerf Island is home to the fruit bat and giant tortoises.
There are no shops, roads or local infrastructure but water, telephone, internet and electricity is provided from the mainland Mahé.

Cerf is ideal for guests who enjoy tranquility and love nature.